Monday, January 19, 2015

December 3, 1045


Dec 3 1945
1046 W 24th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother & the rest of the folks at home

As I wrote in the card I sent Sunday I didn’t get around to writing till now, and I am duly settled in my new quarters and have also worked another day for good old Shell Development.

After I said goodbye to you at Boone and boarded the train I went to bed for awhile but I didn’t undress because it was only a couple of hours till daylight. I just lay and attempted to nap for awhile but not too successfully. The train was late leaving Boone of course — about an hour and a half — and remained behind schedule till it got out of Salt Lake City. Then, since there is a considerable stretch where the roadbed is straight and level they made up time till the train was exactly on schedule at Milford, Utah. During the last night on the train, it made up some more time so that it got in an hour early, an unprecedented occurrence in my experience. I didn’t mind at all since train riding is not exactly a source of unbounded joy and happiness to me.

The trip back was much like it was coming home but in Wyoming and Utah the scenery was much nice now than then, primarily because it had snowed some more so that the mountains and trees were all snow covered. It was certainly a “Christmasy” sight to look at the mountains etc when the sun was out and they were all glittery and white. You could hardly look at them steadily, it made them water so. It wasn’t too cold tho since a little stream which follows the tracks for some time before the train gets to Ogden was not frozen over. There was hardly any snow at all in Nebraska and after we left Salt Lake City and went south, it soon disappeared there too.

In the berth below me were a marine captain and his new bride, at least I guess it was because they acted as if marriage was something quite new and different. Anyway, he was all attention etc etc and she was sort of flighty etc and all in all they didn’t realize there was anybody else around but themselves. I had to laugh because on Friday morning I said hello of course and we all introduced ourselves and we made a few polite remarks about ourselves. Then Sunday morning I was talking to the captain again and he certainly didn’t remember what was said then. I guess he had his bride on his brain. Oh yes, he was telling her what he didn’t like to eat and she was mentally cataloguing it all, I suppose resolving never to give him this or that. It was really funny.

There were a couple of other interesting people on the train but most of them were rather dull. There was an ex-jockey (race-horse rider) going to Calif with his wife and son. The parents weren’t much but they certainly had a cute little boy. There was also an Italian, a chief petty officer in the navy who was quite interesting. He certainly had no use for the navy and was going to get out at the first opportunity.

Most of the time on the train I didn’t feel so hot. I think I had picked up a touch of the flu at home so my stomach didn’t feel so good. As a consequence I didn’t eat much & had some of your lunch left, mama, when I got here. I went to the diner for supper one night but, except for the coffee which I really wanted, it was a disappointing meal.

Sunday afternoon I took a bath and cleaned up after the trip, since you always feel dirty after you get off the train. Then I unpacked my stuff etc. Later I went downtown and mailed the card and walking all the way back up to the house here since I had had no exercise to speak of on the train. I think I am going to like it very well here since the lady is very congenial and since the bus runs about ever[y] 15 minutes or so, so it isn’t very hard to get to & from downtown.

Today at work was like any other day there except that I didn’t feel much like working, but did manage to get some things done. Davidson said that Johnson was coming down in a week or so, so I could find out what, if anything, was holding up the transfer. I was talking to Ed Fisch (one of the guys from Iowa U) today and he was saying something about a new selective service directive that had gone out recently sying that you would be permitted to go back to school now & work towards an advanced degree if you had been working for two or more years. I would like to know if this was so, but I certainly don’t want to correspond with the draft board anymore than I have to. As long as they forget about me the better I like it. Incidentally, I didn’t receive any communication from them during the time I was gone.

This is all for now. I should write a letter to Vincent.

With love
C.P.

P.S. I haven’t got Verner’s new address. Could you send it along sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment