Sunday, January 11, 2015

July 2, 1945


July 2, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

As my habit has been lately I am getting my letter off a day late. Yesterday Mrs. Johnson had the student-pastor here for dinner and in the afternoon he and I went over to Long Beach. He borrowed a car from a lady he knows and we went in that (he had secured some gas to be used in his work even tho he has no car of his own). Mrs. Johnson told us we should go to a program called the Old-Fashioned Revival Hour at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium. 


We went in but didn’t think it was very good so we left. Then we rented a boat for ½ hour and rode around in sort of a lagoon near the auditorium. It surely was a pokey boat, powered by an electric motor. I guess they don’t want them to to go too fast. Afterward we walked around on the Pike and looked at things and we didn’t get home till after eleven so I didn’t feel like writing then. Today I have felt sort of sleepy since I didn’t sleep as long as I usually do.

This morning it was virtually raining again. On the way to work it misted enough to make the windshield entirely wet. The sun came out tho and it warmed up some but it is quite cool tonite.

Ed Fisch, a guy out at work who hails from Iowa, came back from his vacation today. He said that it wasn’t too bad traveling but that going west, the train was so full that some people had to stand. Mrs. Johnson’s daughter and son-in-law are coming out to Calif on their vacation July 6 or 7. They didn’t know if they were going to be able to come but they got some reservations when they had just about given up hope. Since Mrs. Johnson has only one double bed (in which I sleep) I am giving it up so they can use it and I will sleep in a smaller bed she is getting ready. They probably will be gone by the time Vincent has a chance to get a 3-day pass to come down here as he mentioned in the letter you sent on, since they will be staying only a month or so.

My work continues about as usual, etc etc.

Good night
With love
C.P.

P.S. Ed Fisch said that when he was home he met a boy he knows who was working on a farm who was trying to enlist and his draft board would allow him to. He didn’t give any more particulars who.

No comments:

Post a Comment