Monday, January 12, 2015

July 30, 1945

July 30, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Since I wrote only last Friday I thought I would wait till tonite to write to you. My cold is just about gone now and I feel pretty good again. It left just about as fast as it came. In the morning I am still a little hoarse for awhile but that passes off very soon. Various other people out at work have also been having colds so that is where I may have picked it up.

Saturday night I went down to the library and took out a couple of P.G.Wodehouse [books] and loafed around most of the evening reading them. I hadn’t been down to the library for some time and it was fun to browse around in it. Yesterday afternoon I went to a show called “AThousand and One Nights.” 

 
It was a take-off on the story of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp and it was really quite funny. I enjoyed it very much. In the evening Mrs. Johnson had company but I didn’t visit with them but managed to escape since they were people that weren’t very interesting.

Tomorrow the Petersons are leaving. I had thought they were going to stay longer and don’t know why they are leaving so early. It will be sort of peaceful around [here] again when they are gone.

My work continues about as usual; I have finished the report writing that I have [been] doing the past week and will resume some previous work that I dropped and try to get that completed. I think I will work up at Dominguez at the setup there since it is less crowded. Today I got a draft reclassification card again this time classifying me as I-A. Since I had previously been deferred twice till this fall I don’t know what this latest development means. I suppose they do what they think they should but it would improve my opinion of them if they could make up their minds. It would be a laugh if I got in the army now.

It is nice and cool outside. I think I shall take a little excursion down to the post office with this letter.

With love
C.P.

P.S. Of course I always forget to say so, but you don’t know how much I appreciate letters from home. I think one reason is that they portray the farm so much. When you’re in it I suppose it sounds very hustly and bustly bit to me it just sounds peaceful. It probably would be just as much fun to carry leghorns even tho it was hot and dusty as to sit and write a report. You’ll probably say I’m wrong etc etc but there isn’t a more physically enervating and tiring work than using your mind; physical work beside it is almost tick tack toe — and I’m not forgetting the exquisite torture of that last row of potatoes, or that last load of bundles.


No comments:

Post a Comment