Wednesday, January 14, 2015

August 7, 1945


August 7, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother, Clarice, Vivian, Verner, Marold and Ann,

Thank you so much for all of the beautiful cards and letters from you that I received on my birthday. Virtually all of them came on my birthday too, the only one coming beforehand being grandmother’s. Reading about home from each one of you seemed almost to take me back there. I really can’t express my thanks adequately so you’ll just have to take this wholehearted “Thank you” in lieu of a more extended and verbose expression of it. Mrs. Johnson certainly thought I had hit the jackpot when all of those letters came. Even the postman thought it was funny I guess. He came back about 5 minutes after he had delivered the mail in the first place and wanted to know if he had misplaced another letter he had in all those which I had received.

Spoiling somewhat the general effect of happiness and light brought by all the missives from home was a notice from the draft board to report for a preinduction physical examination. The instructions were to report back there of course but I had it transferred out here by going down to the transfer board in Wilmington. I hope that this little effort on their part to get me in the army will prove as abortive as thos they have made in the past.

I didn’t work yesterday afternoon since I had worked Sunday instead — to make up for it and for the ½ day I took off when Vincent came down. I came home about one o’clock, read all the letters, went over to Wilmington to the transfer board, went down to the Y and played pool for awhile (I love that game) and came home again. Mrs. Johnson had invited the student pastor over for awhile (and for supper too) so we sat and talked etc. She had made a very delicious meat loaf, the kind that practically melts in your mouth. I got some stockings and a handkerchief from her.

My work continues about as usual. Today it hasn’t progressed very good because I sort of messed things up at the very outset in the morning so I had to spent most of the day getting ready to try again tomorrow. I should get off a little thank you note to grandmother’s too before I go to Luther League, so this is all for now.

With love and thanks for all those beautiful letters —
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment