Friday, January 16, 2015

August 19, 1945


August 19, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Welll, today is the Sunday proclaimed by President Truman to be a day of thanksgiving and prayer that the war with Japan is over. The first Sunday it is that the U.S. has been officially at peace since that day in 1941. I guess I’ll never forget that Sunday and this one probably too shall stand out in my memory. We truly ought to be thankful that, undserving as we are, we have won the war and have had the peace bestowed on us.

It is cloudy and still in Calif this morning. Yesterday was also cloudy and still — really a very sultry feeling day. It even rained a little in the morning, in the middle of summer. Up in the mountains and farther inland it has been raining rather heavily. Eric Johnson called up last night and inland where they live it has been raining for two days. I overheard last night a conversation between a couple of old “salts,” evidently fishermen, talking about the weather and they thought a big storm was brewing. Probably it would be mostly at sea tho.

A.J. Johnson has been down here the last couple of days talking over with each guy here his future with the company. I don’t know what precipitated this visit or its purpose but anyway it occurred. I talked to him for about three-fourths of an hour and secured a lot of information. The transfer to Wood River as far as I am concerned has not yet been definitely arranged, but negotiations will be started immediately. If I am not sent there, which probably will occur, I will be sent to Emeryville or transferred to an operating company (Shell Oil or Shell Chemical). At any rate, my days here are numbered. I think that the transfer will come in a month or so but I really don’t know how long it will take to arrange it. Dwight is going to San Francisco as is also Hugh Guthrie. Some others are also being changed. It is really joy-provoking to feel that I will be able to leave Calif. in the not too distant future.

I haven’t heard a peep from the draft board either he or back east since I went down to the local transfer board to have my physical transferred out here. I haven’t had the physical yet but I expect it will come in a week or so. The company has (almost 3 or 4 days after I got the original I-A classification) written to the draft board protesting the classification and has initiated an appeal action. I don’t know what the outcome will be, and A.J. Johnson said he didn’t know either what to expect now that peace has come. Even if I were taken it couldn’t be for more than a year, or probably even less since the selective service act reads that service will be for duration and six months. The end of hostilities hasn’t been declared yet, but probably will come in 2 to 3 months. Anything can happen of course, but I feel that I still have a pretty good change of staying out. however, I feel that if I am taken that I will never go back to Shell. Either I will go back to school or get a position with some other company. The end of the war has brought unemployment prospects for many war-workers but there will be a shortage of technically trained men for 3 to 4 years and probably longer because of the extremely short-sighted view taken by the government as far as students were concerned so that it will be relatively easy to get any kind of a job you wish if you are a chemist, engineer etc. This isn’t just my opinion either; you can see the very obvious efforts of the various companies to maintain & increase their personnel. The help wanted section in the chemical news edition of the American Chemical Society is really something to look at. In some respects, a fling at army life would do my personality some good.

My car is on the blink again. It runs o.k., but somewhat jerkily as if something were wrong [with] the fuel supply. It is irregular enough so that it wouldn’t seem logical to be the ignition altho that possibility cannot be ruled out. I took off the carburetor and cleaned it but it didn’t so much good. I also relaced [replaced?] some dubious looking wires in the ignition but that too didn’t do much good, so I plan to take it down to the garage again and see what they can do. The battery is also run down again so the generator probably isn’t working again either.

Well that’s all for now.

With love
C.P.

P.S. Yes I noticed Ann Marie’s pictures and agree with you that she is very cute. However, I feel that I would ha e to see her to go into the raptures you do over her. Vincent, when questioned about her, is very enthusiastic but such secondhand information even when delivered personally is still inadequate I feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment