Tuesday, January 6, 2015

June 6, 1945


June 6, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

I’m tired tonite so I think I shall go to bed early, but I will write my mid-week letter home first. Today was a profitable day as far as getting work done was concerned but I feel rather played out. After supper I took a music lesson, and just got back from that about half an hour ago. I always feel nervous when I am taking a lesson and I suppose that also contributes to the used-up feeling I have right now.

Calif hasn’t been able to manufacture any warm sunny weather since I wrote last. One night it even rained some. I woke up and the water was merrily run[ning] down the downspout outside my window. In the morning it was wet all over on the ground and still misting some. Today started out sun-shiny but it sort of clouded up later and it hasn’t been any warmer than in the near past.

Last night I went to a show, a double feature, but it wasn’t very good. I didn’t think they were going to be any good but I didn’t feel like doing anything else, so went anyway.

The student was supposed to come today, and the plan was to come by this way, but he hasn’t showed up. Perhaps he was delayed en route someplace. Mrs. Johnson was a little concerned about it, and a ittle irked because I didn’t seem very worried about it. She has a tendency to worry about things when they don’t happen exactly as they are supposed to. No matter how mixed up things seem, they’ll always work out some way or other, is about the way I feel.

I don’t know if there is a shortage of black pepper in Calif or not. There is however sort of a shortage of meat, particularly in some stores. About two weeks ago there was a little egg shortage too when some stores were limiting their customers to 3 eggs each. That passed tho, so must have been rather transitory in nature. The bakeries are usually sold out rather early on Saturday nights but otherwise have a fairly good line. If you have time and patience, however, I think you can get almost anything you wish.

I think I’ll stop now.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment