Monday, January 26, 2015

January 26, 1946


[2 letters from Verner]

January 26, 1946

Dear Mom, Dad, Marold and the Rest Home,

3 months ago today, I was drafted into the Army. It seems a lot longer than that. The last month has gone a lot faster than the first two. I just wonder what the next 3 will bring.

I am waiting for the mail to come in so I have a chance to write.

Last night the news broadcast a story about Truman’s thinking of resigning. The source of the rumor was supposed to be a usually true source. Anyway thats look sort of bad for him. He has never been the man for the job from the first.

There isn’t much to write about. I sent home my return fare on my old railroad ticket. See if you can get anything for it. if you can, just keep it or give it to Marold. I am far from broke and the less extra money the better. Did my bond for the month of December come thru. They took the money out. It better come through or I’ll know the reason why.

Love, Verner


January 26, 1946

Dear Mom,

It’s a cold Saturday morning here at J.B. And the forecast is for even colder — 0° by tomorrow morning.

I really hit the jackpot on mail yesterday. 4 letters and the Christian Herald. Thank you for the magazine — this was the first issue I have received. I finally heard from Russ yesterday. It was the first time since before I was drafted. He wrote a real interesting letter. he seems to be having things about as nice as possible in the Army except for the fact that he is on the water so much and his contact with home through the mail isn’t very good.

We are getting a new Separation Center C.O. He seems to be a pretty good man. The present one is all right also.

Last night I went up to the main post library. If Marold still likes to read, he would be thoroughly at home in the fiction section. There are more detective stories and fiction than I had previously anticipated. I spend most of my time over in the more “educational” room where the books on Literature, History, Science, Arts and etc. are kept. Last night I went into the “fiction” room and there are shelves upon shelves of books, but I suppose Marold doesn;t get much reading done with all his night life?

Well I have to get to work.

Love, Verner

No comments:

Post a Comment