Thursday, November 27, 2014

October 26, 1944


October 26, 1944
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Mother, Father, and the rest of the folks at home,

It is after midweek service as I am writing this. Tonite I am sort of tired and dispirited. My mysic lesson didn’t go so hot and I thought I had it in fairly good shape beforehand. Well, maybe it will go better next week.

Today it was been a fairly nice. [sic] It is almost clear this evening but I sort of think that the relative humidity is rather high. This morning it was clear here in San Pedro but it was very foggy out at the refinery. Yesterday was a warm, cloudy, sultry day and it certainly looked and felt like rain but the spell passed off with nothing happening. If it keeps on toying with the idea of raining the way it has, it will slip up some time and start in.

My work continues about as usual. I received an extension of my draft classification as II-B until March 26, 1945. What I can’t figure out is why it isn’t March 19, or April 2, or February 27 instead. March 26 has no particular significance that I can surmise.

Shell Development is having a Halloween Party at the Shell Oil Clubhouse this coming Saturday night but I don’t think I shall go. There is also a L.L. banquet someplace in L.A. the same nite, but I don’t think I shall go to that either. My Sunday School lesson inevitably gets pushed off till Saturday nite, and I need the time then to get it ready.

Monday night I went to the library and got some detective stories to read and afterward I went to a show. The main feature was sort of corny but the “also ran” feature was a show about Boston Blackie and it was so hammy that it was a scream. I certainly thought it was funny. I think that the only good movies are the funny ones; as soon as they attempt seriousness (with a couple of exceptions) they become asinine & boring. This show was just like the radio program I heard when I was home on my vacation. I will have to look around and see if it is on the radio here.

I think I shall read some and then go to bed.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment