Saturday, November 22, 2014

October 1, 1944


October 1, 1944
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the Rest of the Folks at Home,

Today is really Calif. almost at its best. It has been clear all day but the day is not hot, in fact it is barely warm. There is a cool ocean breeze which makes wearing a coat or jacket outside not exactly out of place. When you stand in the sun tho you feel warm enough. Ever [sic] once in awhile you can here [sic] a rooster crow. It almost sounds like Iowa and feels like it, which I suppose is why it seems such a nice day. This morning the foghorns blew some but they are quiet now.

Last night I didn’t get home until rather late. Mel Oldfather’s had the ex-Iowa members of Shell Development out for supper and the evening. Sig Lawrence and his wife were down from San Francisco on their vacation. He was at school when I was but was doing graduate work. The Fewsons and George, Jr. were there (they called George, Jr. “Jeepie”), and Dwight, Hugh Guthrie and Ed Fisch, who came here about 2 months or so ago were also there. It was a rather enjoyable evening I thought. I left at about 11:30 and got a P.E. car at Compton in about 15 minutes and so I was in bed asleep by 1:00 am. Of course I got home slightly before that, but I had to take time out to read the letter from home. I could never be too sleepy to read that.

I am teaching the Bible Class in S.S. now. The reason for this is that during the S.S. hour, Pastor Wellington is going to have the Confirmation Class if and when it gets organized, so he asked me to take the Bible Class which was ordinarily his. It is somewhat more interesting than the previous class I had. I think that the quarterlies we have now are very good for a novice like myself. The[y] certainly seem to contain a lot of information.

My work gets along about as usual. I have not heard from Al since the time we had supper together. This morning there were about ½ dozen sailers [sic] in church. You hardly ever see any soldiers any more.

Since I missed out on some sleep last night I think I shall sleep some this afternoon. I feel lazy enough to.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment