Thursday, November 20, 2014

May 30, 1944


May 30, 1944
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father and Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Today is vacation day so I am going to sort of finish up some loose ends of things that I have to do. The day is starting out as a typical Calif. summer day, cloudy, so that it will not be too warm in the afternoon.

I am sort of disgusted with my car. Sunday morning after Sunday School I was driving back to get Mrs. Johnson and I was going up a hill and halfway up it stopped and would not start. I let it roll down the hill to a garage, fortunately an Oldsmobile garage and left it there. I was seething within with disgust but I quieted down after awhile. I thought somebody had taken the gas out of it, but instead the fuel pump had gone blooey. Last night I went down to get it but I didn’t have enough money to pay for it — about $15, of which about 2/3 was labor. I guess I’ll go dow and get it this morning. I hope that nothing like this happens again.

Sunday was Confirmation Sunday. There were four in the Confirmation Class here. On Sunday evening was Communion. I was glad that my feelings over my car had worn off by evening so I was in a peaceful state of mind for the service then.

I have heard nothing from the draft board. I asked Mr. Cole about it and he said that he didn’t think there was too much to worry about since in the absence of adequate clerical help they would put off all work for deferred classifications & concentrate on the others. About ½ have received their classifications here, that is those who have received II-B’s and are eligible for them, so I don’t think there is anything to worry about — but . . .

George Fewson returned from his vacation yesterday and he said that he surely wished he could go back to the middle-west and stay there. He said that everything looked so green. He comes from southern Iowa so I guess he was in a section where they did not have so much rain or storms lately. Even so, he said, the corn is not planted yet there. He made me homesick with his account of things there.

I got a letter from Vivian yesterday as well as one from home. Mrs. Johnson said she was jealous because she did not get even one. Howard, the rascal, owes me one now for several weeks, if not more.

With love
C.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment