Saturday, November 29, 2014

December 9, 1944


Dec 9, 1944
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif.

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Your letter announcing the coming of Ann Marie arrived here Thursday, mother. I am glad to hear that everything went all right despite the bad roads etc. I suppose you haven’t seen very much of her yet but when you do, don’t forget to write a complete description of her. If she is anything like the Wellington’s baby was at that age, she is sort of red and wrinkled. Don’t be disappointed tho. They seem to grow out of that stage. However the Wellington’s baby lost some of its hair as it grew older but it is coming along pretty good in that respect also. Also, be sure when you take pictures of her to send them around so the rest of the relation can see what the newest addition to it looks like.

Mrs. Johnson suggests that I get for Ann Marie for Christmas sort of a baglike thing in which to carry the baby around in outside. From her description it sounded like a papoose cover or something like that. She said she got one for Paul Eric when he was born and that it has been very handy according to her daughter. Do you have one of these already? If not, and if you think it sounds like a good idea I shall endeavor to locate one to send to her. I suppose tho that she will stay inside most of the time for quite awhile yet.

Calif looked like it was going to rain yesterday, but it sort of fizzled out. Today it was foggy in the morning but cleared up more or less later on. I wore my rubbers and raincoat to work but I did not need to. I do not think it will rain for awhile now, the way it looked tonite but last night it surely looked like it. It was been warmer lately also which seems to indicate that a rain should have come when it looked so much like it.

I was interested in reading about the earthquake that took place inJapan. Dwight says that the Calif Int of Technology has published a report on the investigative study they have made of them since the earthquake in Calif in 1934 or thereabouts. I shall have to try to get ahold of it, since it should be very interesting to read. They have numerous instruments in addition to the seismograph for measuring the type of motion etc in earthquakes.

My work continues about as usual. Mrs. Johnson aleays tells me to be happy in my work when I leave in the morning but it isn’t always easy to follow her advice. However, it hasn’t been too bad lately.

I received a card the other [day] from the Christian Herald announcing that I would be receiving it during the coming year from Mr. & Mrs. C.S. Strand. Thank you, Mother and father for this first of my 1944 Christmas presents.

I think I shall take a bath, wash my head and lay in bed and read for awhile before I go to sleep. I have done nothing but write on a report all day but I am sort of tired anyway.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment