Thursday, November 6, 2014

January 23, 1943


Jan 23, 1943
949 W 12th St.
San Pedro, Calif.

Dear Father and Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

This has been a more or less uneventful week so I wonder if I shall have enough to write about to make very much of a letter.

This morning it is cloudy outside and looks as though it might rain. All this week it has been sort of threatening but nothing has come of it. I have had to laugh at Dwight since he has been predicting rain almost every night this week but so far it has not materialized. During the first part of the winter his predictions were very accurate but this last week he has surely missed the boat. It has been rather warm also. I am enclosing a clipping to show you how warm it was.

Wednesday night the Board of deacons met and got organized for the year. There are only three this year since the term of one ran out and he said that he did not wish to be reelected. Pastor Wellington informed us that he has received a call to Bakersfield here in California. It is a home mission field also. I gather it is sort of a warm place in the summer and cold in the winter. He has not decided what to do about it yet, but I suppose that we shall know in a month or so. If he does leave I guess that it will be rather difficult to get anyone to take his place here inasmuch as there is such a shortage of ministers available now.

On Friday night, the Centennial committee met to sort of gather up the loose ends of the thankoffering. I guess that the only one who will have much work to do from now on is the treasurer. We met our Centennial goal easily but didn’t make too much of progress toward our goal here. It was I think tho fairly successful.

I had supper with the Johnson’s on Friday night. Ever once in awhile they will ask me to have supper with them which is of course very nice. I tried to tell Mrs. Johnson that I wasn’t paying them enough for what they do for me but she said she wouldn’t accept any more. Yesterday she went to Ontario to visit the home of her son Eric. Pastor Wellington was going to the funeral of a Hemborg who was supposed to have been the oldest pastor in the Synod, in Riverside and so he took Mrs. Johnson along and left her at Ontario while he went on to the funeral. She likes to see her grandchildren, I guess.

I received a notification from the draft board that my case is up for reclassification and that my new classification will be made on January 29. It will probably be the same as before, but personally I do not care an awful lot just what it is.

That, except for the usual daily schedule of getting up, eating breakfast, going to work, working, coming to San Pedro, eating supper, coming home, reading or what not, & going to bed is all that has happened this week as far as I am concerned.

Thank you for the very nice letter about your trip to Dubuque and about Clarice’s marriage, mama. I am enclosing a check that you can give to Clarice.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment