Wednesday, November 19, 2014

May 9, 1944


May 9, 1944
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif.

Dear Mother, Father and the rest of the folks at home,

I have had my pre-induction physical examination today and I feel sort of dispirited tonite. However I have taken a good warm bath and feel a little better. I could have told them beforehand what my physical condition was — namely o.k. in every respect. The only thing marked in red on my sheet was that I had an appendectomy scar. The navy quota was filled so I was assigned to the army. Personally it does not make a lot of difference because one would be as distasteful as the other.

If I listen to my reason I cannot see how I can avoid being deferred again, but military service seems to be a very real possibility after you have gone thru a physical examination of this type in which all those in charge tacitly assumed you were already in it for all practical purposes. I will have to pinch myself if I am again deferred to make sure I am not dreaming as I did when I received the first one in Iowa City. Well, I should know in a couple of weeks what will happen.

If I am permitted to stay on here, I will be taking my vacation in August instead of June-July as I had previously planned. The reason for this change is that otherwise I would be having my vacation including a day which would be a holiday anyway and which would mean that I would be using up 1/12 of my vacation on a day which was vacation anyway — a very foolish procedure.

I hope that after Vivian comes home that she will feel better and be able to throw off the cold that has been plaguing her this spring. I have bought a book recently which I am now reading which I think she should enjoy. It is about a California ranch, on which all the animals have names like they do at home and where the cows are breaking out now and then and other troublesome and sundry discomforts. When I am finished I will try to remember to send it along. It has made me think more of home than anything else I have come across recently.

If I am taken in the army and survive the war, altho it would solve a lot of problems not to come out of it, I don’t think I shall return to Calif or to commercial employment. If I do not stay on the farm I shall go back to school and try to get a teaching job when I finish. Calif is o.k. and the people here are nice and all that but I feel like a prodigal son eating husks in a far off land. I seem to be leading a purposeless existence. This is, I suppose, mostly a reaction to today. I am certain tho that I shall be an inefficient worker till I find out what is to happen.

Good night
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment