Tuesday, November 18, 2014

May 9, 1944


May 9, 1944
949 W 12th St
San Pedro Calif.

Dear Father and Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

It is about nine o’clock now as I am writing this letter. I have just had a bath after playing some basketball at the Methodist gym with Pastor Wellington and his boys’ group. Tonite we did not play as hard or as long as we did the other time I played so I should not feel so worn out for so long. It is sort of fun to play basketball but I am not as young as I used to be and I feel it.

Sunday afternoon I went to the installation service for a pastor at a mission congregation in Los Angeles. The Clausons from Banning Homes were along and so was Chaplain Zimmerman from Fot MacArthur out here. It was a fairly interesting service. I met a guy, a Tau Beta Pi man, who was working for the Goodrich company. I don’t think he knew too much. I asked him if they were engaged in compounding rubber and he didn’t seem to know much of anything. Perhaps he was just beginning.

My stomach has been a little bit on the upset side lately. I must have eaten something that caused a slight intestinal flu. Anyway it is somewhat better now. Mrs. Johnson was all for giving me a Swedish remedy she had but I thought I would rather have the stomach ache than the remedy.

Last night the Banning Homes committee met. However, the two members of the committee from the Norwegian Lutheran Church were not there so the meeting was cut short. Furthermore we wanted to go to the circus which was in San Pedro that day. We got there late tho, (that is, the Clausons, the Wellingtons and I) so all we did was walk around, go into one side show, eat some things and then go to the Clausons’ apartment in Banning Homes for some coffee. The circus was a small one and they made only a one night stand which was a mistake. They could have stayed two or three nights and still have had capacity crowds.

The weather has been cooler in San Pedro for a couple of days now. The sun has not been coming out until after dinner sometimes.

I must write to Vivian & Howard tonite. I have been owing them both letters for some time.

With love
C.P.

P.S. I have heard nothing from the Wilmington transfer board yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment