Wednesday, December 31, 2014

May 16, 1945


949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif
May 16, 1945

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Please excuse the paper, but as usual I don’t realize I am running out until I have run out, and hen a makeshift will have to do till more can be obtained. [This letter was written on lined, three-hole notebook paper, rather than the usual unlined sheet.] I guess the paper shortage is reflected in more ways than one realizes even tho you can get all the typewriter paper you wish. Mrs. Johnson tells me that toilet paper is very hard to obtain and that the neighborhood stores usually don’t have any. I have been looking downtown occasionally and most of the time they don’t have any there either. This evening I did manage to get one roll tho. So much for that enlightening topic.

Yesterday and today have been really warm in this section of Calif. Both started out clear and got quite warm along in the afternoon. Yesterday afternoon eas very windy, much windier than it has been today. As soon as the sun goes down tho, it turns cool rapidly and the wind becomes positively chilly. Dwight says that even last Sunday afternoon which didn’t seem particularly warm, that the sun was warm down at Cabrillo Beach.

My car runs along about as usual. I think I will have to rise to work on the P.E. the way my gas is going, before the next coupon validation date comes around. Dwight says that he has about 50 gallons for his motor scooter and he said perhaps I could have some of that. If he does give me a couple I will manage to drive as usual. Yesterday I got my registration which the auto dealer applied for for me when I got the car. it has taken the State Dept of Vehicles about 2 months to get around to issuing it.

By the way, Mrs. Johnson says that she doesn’t think she could make a place for Vivian to stay here if she came to Calif., the reason being Mr. Johnson’s nervous condition. She said that if she could have she surely would have, but that as matters stand, she can’t. However, I’ll keep my eyes open for any other place around here where she could stay for awhile and if I locate one I shall let you know immediately.

I didn’t take a music lesson tonite since I didn’t feel I had practices enough to make it worthwhile.

Pastor Clauson is leaving Banning Homes in about 10 days. A new man has all ready been assigned and has been here about 3 weeks so there is no point in his remaining longer. I met him by accident on the street tonite and he told me about it. Previously he was to have stayed till in July sometime. He says that people are moving out of Banning Homes very rapidly and that soon, particularly after school stops it may be almost abandoned. He says that the shipyards are planning on cutting off the swing shift soon and cutting the day work to a 5-day week 8-hour-day schedule. That is the first I had heard about a 5 day week any place.

I have not heard anything yet if the pastor called here is coming or not, or if an intern has been secured for the summer.

I got t

No comments:

Post a Comment