Sunday, December 7, 2014

February 4, 1945


February 4, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

I didn’t get around to writing last night or this morning so this letter will be a day late in getting to Gowrie I suppose.

I must have gotten my feet wet or something so that I have caught a cold — the runny nose kind this time. Last night I felt sort of dopey and went to bed early and this morning I didn’t feel an awful lot better. After dinner I went to bed for awhile and I feel considerably better now. Mrs. Johnson thinks I got the cold from not wearing my rubbers but I think I picked it up on the P.E., a more likely hypothesis. One of my rubbers has a bad hole in it, and it is worse with it on than off. I will have to get a new pair as soon as I can.

Yesterday and today have been mostly clear days. Evidently the rain is thru for the time being. I like to work while it rains, so I don’t mind rainy weather as long as I don’t get wet in it. Friday it really rained hard out at work a couple of times. It would certainly not be any fun to be an operator in it.

I had sort of intended to go out and work this afternoon since I would like to have a half-day off during the week. I was wondering if I endorsed Uncle Carl’s check and sent it home, if you could cash it for me and buy the bond for me. It looks as if I will never get it cashed at the present rate.

A Pastor Samuelson who is connected with the Lutheran Service Center in Hollywood preached here today. It seemed sort of funny and empty with Pastor Wellington gone. He will certainly be missed. Mrs. Johnson got a card from them enroute the other day. By now, they should not be too far from Kansas I suppose. There will be no evening service tonite or until a regular pastor is called. Thursday night to local board met with Pastor Burke and two members of the Home Mission Board to discuss the future of the church here. The meeting went pretty good, but afterward I got to thinking and despite what was said there, the future of the church here looks rather dark. The next couple of months should show rather clearly what will happen.

I am waiting with anticipation Ann Marie’s first pictures. It would be very nice to see her, but a picture will be nice since that is impossible. Of course, she should be in Calif., where she wouldn’t have to be bundled up all the time. I think she would like it very much here.

Thank you for all the letters this week.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment