Monday, December 29, 2014

April 1, 1945


April 1, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

I didn’t get around to writing this letter last night so it will probably be a day late getting home. This morning I didn’t have any spare time since I went to the early morning service out at Banning Homes. The rest of the day I haven’t felt very well, so I haven’t got around to writing it till now, about five o’clock.

Altho according to the radio, Easter Sunday was a nice day over most of the nation, it has been a drab and chilly one in southern Calif, the sun staying behind the clouds almost all day. Friday and Saturday were gorgeous and warm days (up to 85°F in Los Angeles). I think I got my headache at the service this morning. It was indeed cool and windy and I was certainly glad I wore my overcoat (I remembered the Easter sunrise service I went to in Dubuque the last spring I was in school when I nearly froze to death, and acted accordingly). Also Paster Clauson had forgotten his glasses and I loaned him mine, since he is also farsighted. Altho I can see just about as well without them, I sure find it out when I don’t wear them. There was a pretty fair attendance at church this morning and the offering was good — 65 or 70 dollars. I understand the Home Mission Board has someone in mind for the congregation here but they have not said anything yet to the church here.

The draft situation looks a trifle gloomy just now. The only bright side seems to be that the way the war is progressing there won’t be anything to do by the time any elementary training is completed. I got a letter from the draft board Thursday saying that my case was up for reclassification. The company has, of course, presented the necessary form and request for deferment. However, only 30% of the presently deferred individuals below 30 will be re-deferred. Since there are many older than I working as chemists etc in the petroleum industry I can’t see how I will fall into the 30% group. One of the fellows here has already been reclassified I-A and ordered to report for a pre-induction physical, in addition to the one I mentioned in my last letter. There is, of course, still the very real possibility that I shall try to be inducted back in Iowa. In that event, I shall try to drive home in my Ford, unwise as it may seem. Lugging my stuff home any other way is a virtually impossible task, since there is considerably more of it than when I came out here. I shall write immediately of any developments in the situation as they occur.

I had a letter from Vincent also on Thursday and I hope to be seeing him soon. It will be a real treat. I shall have to fight with him in bed as of old, discreetly of course so that Mrs. Johnson will not lower her estimation of me. I shall enclose his letter.

With love
C.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment