Tuesday, December 2, 2014

January 3, 1945


Jan 3, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif.

Dear Father, Mother, and the rest of the folks at home,

I see by the newspaper that you must certainly be getting a real touch of winter back in the midwest. Ordinarily, the papers here never say anything about weather in other parts of the nation unless it is sort of bad. If a hurricane or a tornado hits some other part of the nation, it is played up; probably so that the rest of the country will seem to be slightly worse than Calif. It isn’t quite that bad, but they never miss a chance to deride the weather elsewhere. For that matter, Calif is been producing some very nice days as I have been writing to you about. Today has been slightly cloudy tho, and a rain may be brewing. Dwight thought yesterday that it might rain today but I pooh-poohed him and my judgment was vindicated this time.

Mrs. Johnson’s daughter called up last evening and she also told of snow and cold in the middle west. Mrs. Johnson surely ejoyed hearing her.

Last Sunday Mrs. Johnson had her son Eric his family and father and mother in law here for dinner and the afternoon. I think I wrote to you about this before if I am not mistaken. They have two cute children, much cuter than Paul Eric I think. They are older than Kathryn Ann, but they would have to go some to be cuter than she.

I saw [a] very good show this week. It is called “Laura” and it is a detective drama sort of thing. The first half of the show is almost perfect. I can’t think of a thing wrong with it. About the middle, the detective falls in love which sort of detracts from the show, but otherwise that too is good. I can’t understand why anyone who could produce such an excellent show should want to mix in such extraneous matters thereby gumming up the effect he has striven to attain. I would recommend it to you Verner and Marold. Even if you went to shows, mama, tho, I don’t think you’d appreciate it.

Sunday afternoon I developed a headache, and also a slightly upset feeling, so I went to bed about 8:30 pm and slept the new year in. I woke up about 7:30 am but Mrs. Johnson didn’t get up right away so we didn’t have breakfast till 9:30 an. Tsk! Tsk!

This week prayer services are being held in various homes in the congregation here. The first one was held last night, at which I gave the meditation — on Faith. Two other meditations will be on Love and Hope and the final one on “A Changeless Christ in a Changing World.” Pastor Clauson of Banning Homes will lead that one.

I was talking with Dan Davidson who is now in charge of the work here today about the closing aspects of the work on which I have been working for awhile. He mentioned a couple of possibilities about things to work on in the future, but he also said in so many words that if there was something I thought I would like to work on that I happened to think of that I could do so. I think that that is the biggest compliment I could receive and it sure tickled me plenty.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment