Monday, December 22, 2014

March 24, 1945


March 24, 1945
949 W 12th St
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

I have finished taking a bath and feel in a nice, lazy, loafy mood, but I really should get this letter finished first. Then I shall read for awhile, listen to the news and go to bed. I think I sleep too much, but it is such an easy habit to form & adhere to.

Today has been a rather nice Calif day altho a trifle windy. Yesterday was really windy. Wednesday and Thursday were rainy days and the wind following them cleared the skies. Perhaps we are in for a clear spell now, following these unseasonal rains.

Last night I went over to Long Beach to hear Jose Iturbi, the pianist, who was giving a concern or recital, whatever you wish to call it, at the Long Beach municipal auditorium. It was scheduled to start at 8:15, but didn’t get underway till 8:30 or so. It was really wonderful I thought. He played about ten pieces, including three encore numbers. The one I liked best was a Sonata in A Minor or something like that by Beethoven, altho all of them were good I thought. Perhaps I was just too uneducated to detect his faults. I think that Vivian would have liked to have heard him. I am going to have to keep my eyes open so that when other people like him are performing in the vicinity of San Pedro, that I shall go to hear them.

My car is running along so so. I was going to get my driver’s license Thursday, but I had left the windshield wiper on (it is run by a small electric motor) and the battery was down so I had to have a garage man come up and get it and charge the battery. I was down this morning and got it and drove it to work. It is my opinion that the guys there didn’t know much what they were doing. They said they tried to charge the battery all night but it wouldn’t charge but after I drove it to work it had charged enough to start the engine easily tonite. Also they did a sloppy job of inspecting the wiring as I had asked them to do. They must not be keen about their work.

My work continues as usual. I am off on a new tack now for awhile. It seems as tho something new is always coming up that has to be given the once over to see if it will work and I am as often as not given that particular work to do.

It was nice that Vincent could get home for awhile. Marold & Verner much be growing enormous if he looks small beside them. I will be almost afraid to come home next vacation to see them.

Thank you for the interesting letters from home. I am glad that Vivian approves of the name “Cupcake” for Ann Marie.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment