Monday, March 23, 2015

Thursday, October 24, 1946


October 24, 1946
664 W 13th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother, and the rest of the folks at home,

Whew! Today has been a very warm day altho it certainly did not start out that way. This morning it was very foggy — you could scarcely see across the road — and it seemed very cold. Perhaps it was just the high humidity that made it seem cold but certainly found myself wishing for an extra sweater as I stood waiting for my ride this morning. It was rather slow driving because of the fog but we got to work not much later than usual. The guy I ride with is a very good driver for which I am thankful. On the other hand he doesn’t poke along if he can help it. It has really been a saving in time to ride with him.

Life has continued about as usual. I am back in the laboratory again as of noon today. It felt sort of good to be messing around setting up equipment again. I have some interesting experiments ahead of me if they turn out as I think they should. Altho price controls have been lifted I have noticed no changes yet, at least in restaurant & food prices. I don’t think they will change much & if they do will soon return to their previous levels. I suppose that the meat situation has changed at home so that you can get some. Has any word been received about the furnace yet? (that is, about getting the broken piece replacement).

I have been reading another book on philosophy which I got at the library. I think that in the not too distant future I will start buying some of the original philosophical works to add to my library. They no doubt will be harder reading than commentaries but will probably be more thought-provoking.

Li’l Abner is really turning into a sequence of top interest. Sadie Hawkins Day is coming up in about two weeks (when Dogpatch gals chase the unfortunate Dogpatch bachelors to see if they can snare themselves a husband) and there is indeed a fearsome lineup this year. First of all there is the “Wolf-gal” who is out to catch somebody so she can give her wolves something to eat. Then there is “Lena the Hyena”  from Lower Slobbovia who is so awful-looking that everybody faints when they see her. Truly the day is one of ill omen for the poor Dogpatchers. I don’t know if you have heard about “Lena the Hyena” but there have been two articles in Time about her, so she is quite well known. Nobody has seen her to date; Al Capp has kept her out of view, thereby building up her reputation.

This is about all for now.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment