Tuesday, March 3, 2015

September 15, 1946


Sept 15, 1946
664 W 13th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Well, it cooled off some today. Even yesterday I believe that it was somewhat cooler than Friday, but certainly not a great deal. Today tho the sun didn’t come out until almost nine-thirty and there has been a nice breeze so it has been quite livable. It was slightly warm in church this morning but not enough to be uncomfortable.

I’ve just come back from dinner (at about four o’clock in the afternoon) when I’m writing this so I have that sort of comfortable sleepy feeling you get when you’ve just finished eating & don’t have to start right in to work. Since the Thrifty Drug Store closed, I have been eating dinners (on Saturdays & Sundays) at a place called the Palace Cafe. They have pretty good meals but they cost $1.00 apiece and it sort of pains me to pay that much. If I spend only 50¢ for breakfast tho, I feel justified in spending it, since with it has the other meal it still brings the day’s total expenditure for food to $1.50, which is what I try to allow myself. Of course on weekdays I wouldn’t allow myself such latitude.

On the way back from dinner I stopped in at the grocery store and got my provisions for tomorrow & Tuesday. I suppose I should get them on Saturday but they’re open anyway on Sunday so I thought I might as well get them then, and get a day fresher bread. So much for the culinary side of life.

Saturday passed in the usual routine. Friday night I got my new book down at the book-store. It was a book on the psychology of abnormal behavior by a man at the Univ of Kansas. The first part was a sort of history of the development of psychology & psychiatry from ancient times up to the present & it was very readable. The second part was mainly concerned with description etc & wasn’t too interesting but I think it will be worth chiseling thru. The last or latter parts look more interesting, being concerned with psychoanalysis etc. I spent part of Saturday reading in it; I also did some pasting in my scrapbooks altho I didn’t get up to date. In the afternoon I went to a show.

Do you know if a leather notebook of mine which I used when I went to college is lying around at home someplace? It has a zipper around the edge so it is sort of a carrying case. If it is around someplace & nobody is using it I would appreciate if you would send it out here.

That’s about all for now.

With love
C.P.





No comments:

Post a Comment