Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Friday, October 4, 1946


Oct 4, 1946
664 W 13th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Brrrr! It’s cold tonight — certainly a change from some of the warm weather we had last week. Even the newspaper says it is going to be unseasonably cool tonite and I can believe it. In addition to it’s being cool, it is quite blustery out; it almost reminds one of a wintery day back in Iowa when you want to come in and sit and toast your toes on the oven door & thumb thru a Sears Roebuck catalog or something like that. After the little shower we had last Sunday afternoon it cleared off on Monday but on Tuesday it started raining early in the morning & kept on intermittently till noon. Los Angeles & vicinity have now had about 1/2” of rain which is about 150% more than usual.

I’m tired tonite and I’ve got a little headache so I guess I’ll go to bed early and if I wake up early in the morning just lie & look at the ceiling. I had intended to write home last night as usual but I didn’t get around to it. This weekend, Zene has invited me to come up to his home in L.A. and spend it with him, so I won’t be in San Pedro Saturday afternoon & Sunday. Zene, you will recall used to be in charge of the lab here when I first came to work for Shell Development. I would just as soon have spent the usual weekend in San Pedro but I could [not] think of any good reason to decline so I accepted. I won’t be leaving till after my music lesson tomorrow.

Wednesday the draft board broke their silence and informed me for the nth time that I was I-A. Davidson says that the case will be appealed as usual, etc etc and there is no reason to suppose it will turn out any differently than it has on previous occasions.

It is certainly too bad that the furnace at home is in such poor shape; I certainly ope that you can get it fixed so that it will serve until it can be replaced. I suppose that harvest will soon be starting back there; I heard on a farm program following the news this morning (which I listened to before setting out to work) that all but about 2% of the corn crop in Iowa was safely matured and beyond frost damage.

If I come back Sunday night I’ll write a note then; I’m not sure about Zene’s invitation — it was rather indefinite & may extend over Sunday night. If I don’t come back I think I’ll wait till later in the week to write.

With love
C.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment