Saturday, March 7, 2015

September 22, 1946


Sept 22, 1946
664 W 13th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Well, here it is Sunday afternoon again and another week has rolled around. Today it is a bright and sunshiny day, but it is not too warm; it is much like yesterday. Friday night I was tired so I came home and went to bed early. As I mentioned in my last letter, I had to ride on the P.E. on Friday because the fellow I am now riding with was having some work done on his car. The train was very late at the Watson station and it didn’t get into San Pedro till 5:30. Saturday I got up about six and went down to church and practiced from 7 till 9. After breakfast I went to the bank and cashed my paycheck, then proceeded to take care of the usual Saturday errands. The last of the three books I had ordered at the book store had arrived and I went down & got it. In the afternoon I had a music lesson, altho I certainly haven’t done much practicing this week. Afterward I had supper (in the middle of the afternoon) and went to a show after that. Time magazine had panned it as a rather anemic comedy and ther were right; it was certainly rather inspid.

Today I slept late (7:00) and after shaving etc. read until time for church. At church Mrs. West, the wife of the board member I mentioned previously, came up and induced me to agree to teach Sunday School for awhile. I should never have allowed myself to get sucked into that job again but I sort of pitied her; she has such a hard time to get teachers. However, if I decide to go back to school next fall, as I now feel like doing, it will only be for the next 11 months.

You might as well keep the ration book at home, mother since I certainly have no use for it out here. Out here the meat markets are rather bare, much no doubt like they are at home; the restaurants usually have meat however. I don’t mind a lot if they do or not, they usually have some non-meat items on the menu and as a general rule they are just as gastronomically inspiring as their meats.

The rain didn’t materialize as I thought it would, altho some people said they observed or heard a few drops of rain. It probably was just too early in the season. The weather did clear up afterward tho; the sky was really blue on Friday.

This is about all for now

With love
C.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment