Friday, February 6, 2015

March 31, 1946


March 31, 1946
1046 W 24th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Mother, Father and the rest of the folks at home,

Sunday evening again, and another week soon to start. Almost like Carl Anderson used to say — “Another day, another dollar.” Another day spent more or less unprofitably; another week of days ahead with nothing to commend them except that they will probably pass faster because they are more filled with work, daily routine, etc. Oh, happy day.

Yesterday it rained off and on, mostly on, all day. Sometimes it really poured down. Today it cleared up tho, but has remained rather cool with a brisk breeze. This afternoon I took a walk down to the beach and then back downtown. I can’t remember when the air has been so clear here. Usually the ocean merges indefinitely into the sky. Today the horizon was as clear cut as an outline. you could even see Catalina Island quite clearly, whereas most of the time you can’t begin to distinguish it. The waves were considerably large than usual because of the wind.

This morning, as usual, I went to church, which ay explain why I am so moody and disillusioned tonote. As usual it was a profitless excursion.

I brought some data home with me over the weekend but I didn’t do much with it. I did, however, formulate some plans for an experiment I plan to do in the near future. I spent most of Saturday morning (with the exception of an excursion down town to cash a pay check) working rather desultorily on it, and this morning when I woke up about five-thirty I laid in bed thinking about it until I felt like getting up. It may work but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I haven’t had much time to work on the synthetic gem manufacturer, but my quartz samples seem to be coming along fair. I’m afraid tho that they aren’t crystalline. Perhaps if I heat them up to near melting conditions I can get orientation into a crystalline structure. I think tho before I try that I’ll make a new batch, trying to get it purer. I was talking to Davidson the other day and he told me some things he had heard up in Emeryville which may prove helpful.

This is all for now.

With love
C.P.

P.S. A check for the butter is enclosed. Thank you very much for sending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment