Thursday, February 12, 2015

April 18, 1946


April 18, 1946
1046 W 24th St
San Pedro, Calif.

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

I got your letter written Monday, mother, today and I could just see you “fenced in” as you wrote it. From the sounds of things you have certainly gone in for some very considerable painting, papering and renovating activities this spring. I am surely looking ahead to seeing it all come next August when I am home on vacation. Calif is looking a little greener now as a result of the late rains we had, but even so it isn’t too green. On the way to work, I can look out of the P.E. and see the sweet corn patches the Mexicans have planted, where the corn is just beginning to come up — very reminiscent of Iowa, except that it isn’t checked in.

This week hasn’t seemed much like spring here. Most of the time it has been rather cold and dank. Almost every evening, great banks of fog have rolled in from the sea about six or seven in the evening. One night the P.E. was later at the Watson station in the evening and I just about froze before it got there. Today has been slightly warmer so perhaps Easter will be a nice day.

My work continues about as usual. Davidson went to San Francisco Wednesday night but will be back sometime Friday. Most of the activity here has been recently diverted into a new channel and it looks as if Plant I will soon be restarted. I’m not sure but I rather think that Shell is pulling another fast one that is going to surprise a lot of people that are at present sitting too complacently in their status quo.

I think I shall be moving sometime this weekend. I believe I shall move to the place I had mentioned previously. The lady called up last Tuesday and said she had a room available so I thought I might as well take it. I’ll send the address along when I am moved but you might as well continue to use the present address till then, since any letters etc can be forwarded. Mrs. Eldridge can take care of the butter if it comes and I can pick it up later sometime. The place to which I am moving is closer to downtown so I won’t have to depend on the unreliable bus service so much. Y’know that may be why Calif is such a hopeless place — everything is so slipshod, makeshift, overcrowded, irregular etc etc. and the people are no exception.

I seem to be running out of news so I shall stop.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment