Thursday, February 26, 2015

June 30, 1946


June 30, 1946
664 W 13th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

Well, another Sunday has come. It is right after church now — not the usual Sunday-letter-writing time — but I feel like writing it now so I will proceed to get it off. It is a nice, fairly cool, sort of mistily-sunshiny day which would be good for working if you felt like working; but if you don’t, it’s almost ideal for just lying around loafing.

Friday night I went to a show, by name “Cluny Brown.” It was a sort of satire on English customs and manners and was really quite funny I thought. I went early so I didn’t have to sit thru the other half of the double feature which certainly started outi n a rather uninteresting way.


Saturday went off, at least at the beginning as usual. I got up, read till about 8:30, went downtown to breakfast, took some pants to the cleaners, did some shopping (I got a couple of ink brushes and some groceries etc) and went to the bank. Then I went home and read etc till 12:00 when I started off for mu first music lesson in resuming them. I believe I wrote to you last time that I intended to start in again. it was quite an interesting lesson and I believe that I will get much more out of these lessons than I did out of Mrs. Searcy’s lessons. Well, we’ll see. Afterward I rode out to Cabrillo beach and took some pictures while scrambling over the rocks. After some supper and a visit to the library I came home & worked on my scrapbooks till about nine o’clock, then took a shower and went to bed.

I didn’t get up till 6:30 today and drew cartoons till about 8:30, and read till 10:00 when I went downtown for breakfast. I don’t know what effect the lapse (perhaps temporary) of O.P.A. will have on meals here in San Pedro. If it has too great an effect I think I shall ask Mrs. Rosell if I could fix my own breakfasts here. I am almost sure she would say all right since she has told me I could use the icebox whenever I pleased. Church went off about as usual this morning. Next Sunday I suppose I’ll go to church with Vivian. I am certainly looking forward to seeing her.

This afternoon I think I shall listen to the broadcast of the atom bomb test from Bikini Atoll. Probably there won’t be much to hear, but it would be nice to say you heard it anyway. I am certainly waiting to see the movies of it when they are released. Perhaps toward evening I will go down to church & play for awhile.

I’ll take this opportunity of again wishing you a very happy birthday, mother. There was a bouquet of pansies in church today and, as usual, they reminded me of you.

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment