Wednesday, February 25, 2015

June 27, 1946


June 27, 1946
664 W 13th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother and the rest of the folks at home,

It is a nice, quite evening tonite. The day started off rather drearily but this afternoon it has been quite clear altho not too warm. Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday were quite warm days while I was working up at Dominguez, and it is always warmer up there than at Wilmington. Also, since I was preparing a pilot plant batch of catalyst I was using my muscles more (yes, I still have some), therefore I was perspiring more and feeling correspondingly warmer. I am afraid that I am slowly achieving a disinclination to exert myself physically even if I have to.

Well, a week from today Vivian should have set foot (or feet) on the warm, dusty soil of Calif. I suppose there are places where you couldn’t shake the dust from your shoes as for example in the Arctic Circle, but Calif certainly isn’t one of them. Shell Development no doubt has Thursday off but I haven’t heard about Friday; I doubt very much that we get it off. It will be a lot of fun to see her again. By the way, I think that is is beneath her dignity as a school marm to allow one of her pupils to court her. She will get tired of it & he’ll be hurt and nobody will be happy over the situation (or so it says in the book where all pessimistic predictions originate).

Last night Mrs. Eldridge asked me up for supper & afterward I helped her write another letter to the Treasury dept truing to get them [to] reissue the bonds they lost. In the first letter, one form was required, which was filled out and sent in. Now, three more, plus a statement, certified, about the bonds must be made. I wonder iv they will want some more filled out. I would really laugh if she and a treasury dept official got together. He would certainly be adept at mixing up people ans she is the most mix-up-able person there ever was (of course, she had a head start in that she never thought a coherent series of thoughts ever in her life). She probably could get even the treasury dept official mixed up if he didn’t watch out. I asked her about Vivian’s being there for a couple of days & she said it was o.k. only to let her know as soon as possible.

I didn’t get to my room till nine o’clock, so I decided to sleep this morning instead of going down to church and practicing, so I did so. I have located another piano teacher (a better on than Mrs. Searcy) so I think I will restart taking lessons in the near future. Perhaps I am foolish in doing so, but I’ll see how it works out.

I neglected to get a card this evening, so I will have to take this opportunity of wishing for you, mother, a very happy birthday, and many happy returns of the day. Be sure and go into the big celebrationa nd really enjoy yourself!

With love
C.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment