Monday, February 9, 2015

April 11, 1946


April 11, 1946
1046 W 24th
San Pedro, Calif

Dear Father, Mother ad the rest of the folks at home,

Today has been quite a warm day here in Calif. According to the weatherman it was supposed to be warmer today than yesterday but I don’t think it was — at least it didn’t feel that way. Yesterday it got up to 90°F in Los Angeles and I believe it was nearly that out at the refinery. It certainly was like a summer day back in Iowa. It started to blow towards evening but has stopped now (about 8:30 pm).

Mrs. Eldridge asked me for supper tonite so I didn’t stop down town this evening. The P.E. was late tonite so I didn’t get home until almost six even so. After supper I sat down and played on the piano for awhile, read the newspaper and looked at the Saturday Evening Post and am now writing this letter. Inspiring, isn’t it?

I didn’t feel so good last nite so I went to bed early. I felt o.k. when I left work, but I got detained on the way out for awhile and so I just about missed the P.E. In order to catch it I ran as fast as I could for 2–300 yards and it gave me a headache. I guess I’m not used to exercise like that. The P.E. is always on time if you’re not, that’s a cinch.

Monday night a meeting of the Board of Administration was held as usual. I stayed downtown after supper and went to the church and played on the piano there till it was time for the meeting to start. Personally, I don’t think that anything is ever accomplished at them. At every one the same things are hashed over again, with the same conclusions being reached.

“Little Abner” is really quite interesting these days. Don’t you take the Des Moines paper at home nowadays? It seems to me that I recall you do. At any rate if you don’t read about “Fearless Fosdick” you’re missing something. Last week, Time had a little article on the subject. I can’t recall when another comic strip was so honored.



I see by the Gowrie News that one Marold Strand was going to handle the “hot corner” in a game between the Gowrie high school baseball team and the Somers. This was indeed a surprise to me; I can’t recall that Marold had embarked on a sport’s career. How “hot” was it, Marold?

That’s all for now.

With love
C.P.







No comments:

Post a Comment