Thursday, July 25, 2013

Friday NIght Basketball


I have written a little already about the athletic program at Gowrie. Though I never “went out for a team” I did attend the basketball games which were held in the local gym. Somehow or ther I had a season ticket I believe. The games were invariably on Friday evenings and were usually preceded by a pep rally on the last period of the day on Friday. As I recall I was rather emotionally involved early in high school but this attitude had tended to fade by the time I was a senior.

On occasion I attended games away from Gowrie. My friend John Woodard was permitted to drive the Model A Ford belonging to Well Lines, his uncle, to a few such games and I rode along. There was also the time John and I rode along with Darwin Liljegren to one of these out-of-town games. Darwin had taken the car his father, a rural mail carrier, had and when we were to start home the car wouldn’t start. I think a relative came to get us, but we were brought back only as far as where Darwin then resided, which was in the old Amanda Gorman house next to my grandmother’s house. 

John and I were left on our own as to how we would get home. It was suggested that we wake up my uncle Carl and have him drive us home but I mentally vetoed this idea. I wasn’t about to meet his reaction to such a situation. Instead John and I walked the four miles home — it wasn’t a hard walk. The night though cool wasn’t cold. I suppose we got home sometime in the early hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment