Saturday, November 3, 2012

Muriel Arrives

With Muriel we actually made two trips to Alta Bates. The first time we went nothing transpired so Dr. Aitken sent Jean home. She [Muriel] was born on the second visit, shortly after noon on August 25, 1954. There actually was an unseasonable light rainy spell in Berkeley to herald her arrival.

Jean and Muriel came home from the hospital after the usual several days and it seems to me that Jean’s mother was on hand for awhile that day but mostly it was I coping with making baby formula for the first time along with well the other rather unfamiliar household tasks, as well as those specific to the homecoming. By the end of the day I was exhausted and Jean still remarks how I snored that night.

Jean had borrowed or obtained in some fashion a bassinet and Muriel slept in that her first months. Often during our evening meal she would be in a wakeful, fretful period and we would have her in the kitchen beside us, where we would be moving the bassinet with one hand and eating with the other.

I recall that when Muriel was born she had little tufts of hair on the top tips of her ears — I guess these little tufts soon disappeared as I have no recollection of them later.

Girl babies sometimes have a slight flow of blood, similar I suppose to menstrual flow, shortly after birth. I (we) were unaware of this so when it occurred with Muriel we were considerably perturbed until reassured by the pediatrician. The latter was one Dr. Brown, who both lived and had his office in a house in north Berkeley, sort of at the point where the Alameda and the old Grove Street (now ML King Street) meet.

Brown was really a character, but he loved children and was very good with them. He was one of the homeliest men I think I’ve ever seen — he was called “Old Hatchet-Face” by his colleagues in the medical profession and indeed the description was rather apt. One of Brown’s recommendations was that orange or other citrus fruit should always be eaten first, on an empty stomach, so that the body could best use and assimilate the vitamins etc.

Jean’s expenses at the hospital were I think covered by Shell’s medical plan, but I’m not sure about this. I think both Dr. Aitken’s bill for care during pregnancy (I think it was about $100–$150 for the care through the delivery) and Brown’s package deal for the first year of care for Muriel were our responsibility — at least I have no recollection of submitting a claim to Shell for reimbursement. At that time medical insurance coverage was just starting to be used; nowadays much is made of the need for it — then most people just did without and made do as best as possible.

One of Jean’s recollections of Alta Bates, from her first birth experience there as well as subsequent ones, was the wonderful meals that were served. It was when Muriel was born that Jean met Lucille Piehl, who was in the same two-person ward as Jean. Lucille was also having her first child, Marybeth, and this chance meeting led to a long-time acquaintanceship between our two families. The Piehls lived for a long time in El Sobrante; we sort of lost track of them when they moved to Napa. They had subsequently two boys, John and Billy. Billy, the youngest, was one of the most appealing little boys I have ever encountered.



Muriel and Carl, December 17, 1954

I have various recollections of Muriel as a young child. She was an inquisitive child and it was necessary to keep a close eye on her or she would be “getting into things.” I suppose it was when she started crawling or toddling around the kitchen that Jean resorted to tying the cupboard handles together so that they couldn’t be opened. And she spent time in the playpen — over the years we had two different pens. The first one was the larger and we acquired it secondhand I think. The bottom needed replacement which I made, but what I made did not fold up as the original had so it wasn’t as easy to transport. Later we disposed of it I think and purchased a smaller one.

I can still see Muriel standing in the first, larger playpen just beyond the door into the dining room and adjacent the living room table (one of the items that Jean brought with her). It was from the dining room table where Jean had been sewing a shirt as a Christmas gift for my brother Vincent and had left the buttons for the shirt that Muriel reached and proceeded to swallow at least one of the buttons. We recovered it (them) and they graced the final shirt.

It was at a later time that Muriel scratched her name on the tabletop of this same dining room table. Muriel was walking as I recall before she was a year old and some time when she was a toddled we took her with us when we attended an open house given by a Shell visitor from Holland who was about to return to Holland. The visitor had rented a bric-a-brac–filled house during his stay and I spent the time we were at the open house following her around and steering her away from all the little items she was attracted to.

It was with Muriel that Jean obtained a little harness with a little leash attached to use when she had her with her outside the house. I can remember “losing” her when we were in Capwell’s in El Cerrito plaza; I suppose this was before Jean had found the little leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment