Friday, November 16, 2012

California Missions


While I am writing about vacations I should not forget to mention our stops at the California missions. Jean had the idea that these visits would be educational and well as entertaining to our daughters. She divided the missions into three groups and we intended to concentrate on one group for each of the daughters. The reaction of our daughters was one of at best marked disinterest and they still remark with amused regard of their parents’ efforts when the subject comes up.

The missions were in various states of repair and renovation. I guess most of them were in disrepair and abandonment more or less at some time in their history. I found the restored missions of less interest than the one (I think near Soledad) which was totally unrestored. It was on one visit that we stopped at an antique store and we acquired a restored old chair with red upholstery — I managed to rearrange things in the trunk so that we could take it with us directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment