Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Settling in at 411 Bonnie Drive


I had furnished 931 Seaview with various pieces of secondhand furniture and appliances and enough kitchenware and dishes so that I could accommodate my parents when they visited me in early 1953. I had my desk and chair, plus I think I’d acquired a bookcase somewhere along the line. I bought an old sofa and chair, the sofa being convertible into a bed. I also bought a spring and mattress which I used until my parents’ visit. I made a support for the spring to keep it up off the floor. As my parents used it during the visit I also had a small cot that I used. I had also bought a used refrigerator, a table and some chairs.

When Jean and I were married we moved all our separate furniture belongings into 411 Bonnie Drive and the combined sets of furniture, dishes, etc. were sufficient to set us up in housekeeping. Gradually the items I had were replaced over the first few years with better quality furnishings. I think the first household items we bought were a vacuum cleaners and a washing machine. Actually I think the vacuum cleaner came first, for a few months at least Jean took our wash down to her parents’ and used her mother’s Maytag.

There was a stove at 411 Bonnie Drive which the Wilsons left for us but we replaced that with one more to our needs. The refrigerator we used for a uear or so until we got a new one — I remember selling it for $50 to the father of the lady next door. He was the head of the Addiego clan in El Cerrito and had several apartment houses, where I think the refrigerator ended up.

We still had the sofa and chair at the time Muriel was born. I can remember Jean spending time in the chair one night when her labor pains were starting. The chair we kept I think after the sofa was discarded and I seem to remember thatMuriel had it downstairs in the bedroom she occupied (after the extension was finished). She didn’t like it when we finally disposed of it — I at least wasn’t aware of her attachment to it, another example of a parent not knowing what’s going on in the mind and feelings of an offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment