Thursday, March 18, 2010

Driving with Grandfather Strand

The car our family used in the 1920s actually belonged to my grandfather — it was a boxy four-door Chevrolet sedan. My parents purchased an Essex four-door sedan in 1929 or so, trading in the Chevrolet and I think my father compensated my grandfather for it at that time. In the early 1930s, my grandfather acquired a two-door Chevrolet (but with two seats) and it was garaged in the garage constructed at the time the workshop in his backyard was re-oriented. I remember driving this car several times either for my grandfather or other relatives.

I remember only once my grandfather driving, probably the old Chevrolet. He and I were the only passengers and I think we had come from a funeral service at the cemetery) or at least some church or social function). We had been driving along the Gowrie Main Street (but west of the business section). The car was running out of gas and we just barely coasted into the gas station just east of the Beckwith apartments (these apartments were in the old school building replaced in 1923 or so by the present building which is still in use, though modified). There was some light conversation between my grandfather and me about how nearly we didn’t make it to the gas station.

After our move out to the Peterson farm we had less contact with Grandfather although it was often my duty after I could drive the family car to drive to his house after Sunday school and bring him to the church service which followed. As I mentioned he had increasing difficulty in walking in later years and I had to help him laboriously down the back stairs at his home, into the car and then up the stairs at church. I can see him still, sitting in his rocker in the kitchen (probably during the winter) waiting for me. I would help him into his overcoat and we would be on our way. Sometimes my father would do this. I don’t know if Uncle Reuben or my cousins ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment