Saturday, August 15, 2015

Saturday, April 14, 1956


April 14, 1956
411 Bonnie Dr
El Cerrito, Calif.

Dear brothers & sisters,

April in Calif is usually not too rainy since by then the rainy season is definitely tapering off, but this week has not been typical and we have been having some real April showers. Today has been quite sultry-like but the rain held off till evening so I was able to spend part of the day out in the yard. My big current project in the yard is the terracing of the back yard into two levels, thus removing the slope from it and making it more useful; I spent several hours this afternoon & one this morning moving dirt round to this end, being assisted by Muriel who spent some of the time moving dirt from one can to one pile to another can to another pile etc. Probably there was as much sense to her activity as to mine.

The rain has made the yard look much fresher since we had had no rain for a month or so and things were quite dry (I watered thoroly last weekend, perhaps that is why it rained this week). We have had several roses and soon shall have many more judging from the buds on the bushes; the daffodils are gone, but we have a few tulips, a lot of coral bells and calla lilies, and quite a few flowers of a species I forget the name of (Jean also forgets). The berry bushes and strawberries are full of blossoms so we should have a good berry crop this year — last year we had quite a fer berries on the vines but very few strawberries.

Last weekend I started to paint in the rumpus room downstairs and got the primer coat on the walls. The walls had been dark brown so the room was quite dark most of the time and since we want to have the walls a light yellow I had to put on a coat to cover up the brown first. Perhaps this coming week in the evenings I can get started with the second coat. My other painting project for the summer is the stucco part of the house (I did the woodwork last year); however I probably shan’t get started on that till after our visit to Gowrie in May (we plant to come the week of Decoration Day so as to have an extra day for traveling).

One day at work I noticed in a trade journal a request for cartoons so I decided to draw some up & submit them. I thought the ones I sent in were pretty good but they didn’t accept any of them — at least they were better than some of those they chose & have been printing. However, since I’ve finally bestirred myself on this dream of mine, perhaps I shall continue drawing some and trying to sell them. Being a cartoonist would I think be an easier life than being an engineer I think, and perhaps more useful in the long run.

This spring I am taking part in the Great Books discussion course. The particular session I am going to is at the Albany high school (a city adjacent to E.C.) but the general idea is sponsored bu the Great Books foundation. The first year is concerned principally with political works. My roommate at work introduced me to the idea and I thought I’d give it a try. The first session was quite interesting and the one next time (on Monday evening) should be even more so. I hope it keeps that way & that my interest stays up.

All for now — I’m all writ out, having also penned the weekly letter home.

With love,
Carl, Jean & Muriel

No comments:

Post a Comment