Sunday, September 15, 2013

Engineering Classes


I had not been very well advised on what I should register for in the first semester, as I should have started physical chemistry. So the second semester I took the second half of that course even though the first semester was normally a prerequisite. I continued with the German and engineering drawing. In addition I had mechanics of materials (in the Mechanical Engineering department), the second part of the chemical process industries course, and the first of three semesters of chemical engineering principles. Gradewise I continued about as I had the first semester.

As the year progressed I became more acclimated to the climate in a larger school in a more competitive situation, in a way paralleling what happened when I entered high school.

I still have a few mementoes from my first year at the university. While in junior college I had a cheap slide rule but at Iowa I decided I needed a better one. After some hesitation I bought an F. Post rule (of Japanese manufacture) since it was marginally cheaper than a K&E rule. I still have it and use it periodically even yet (as when I am scaling up a photography or picture in making a watercolor painting).

After I was transferred at Shell from Wilmington to the San Francisco Bay Area, at some point I bought a K&E rule. But I still continued to use my college rule on occasion, like an old friend I feel more comfortable with it.

I also have the mechanical drawing set I bought for use in engineering drawing — a German-made Dietzgen set that is still in almost mint condition. A real collector’s item. 



And I have the drawing board, the T square and one of the plastic triangles that I used in engineering drawing. All of these drawing implements were used by Vincent when he was in the agricultural engineering course at ISU after WWII, and perhaps by Marold also when he first tried out engineering as a course of study at ISU. It proved not to his liking and aptitude and he settled for going to Gustavus Adolphus.

No comments:

Post a Comment