Saturday, March 26, 2011

Uncle George's Wake

When uncle George died he had the typical funeral of the time, in which the casket of the deceased person was brought to his, or her, place of residence. There it sat for a day or so before the funeral service. So uncle George in his casket was in the parlor at my grandmother’s and also typical of the time, the casket was open for family and friends to view the deceased for the last time.

I saw him there and I was struck by the comeliness of his face. Perhaps it was the result of the undertaker’s skill but I believe it was more than that. Maybe it was also the contrast with the appearance he had during his life. My impression was that he was a much better looking man than any of his three younger brothers (in my opinion, uncles Lawrence and Serenus were rather peculiar in appearance and deportment and uncle Milton though better in the latter department was not particularly good-looking). Uncle Carl had better features and basically in the same class with uncle George as I viewed him in his casket.

Uncle George had a few funds at the time of his death and these were distributed to some of his nieces and nephews. I got $10 as I recall and I used it to purchase a watch chain with a little knife at one end. I used it for a long time and I suppose I still have it somewhere. I know I used it well into the 1960s.

No comments:

Post a Comment