Monday, June 7, 2010

Uncle Carl's story

After my grandfather died my uncle Serenus took over the farming on the acres. At least it was in sort of a loose partnership with my uncle Carl. Maybe it was during this period that my uncle rented the nearby Woodard place. After my uncle Serenus left the farm to become a minister uncle Carl took over the farming and never left it.

At one time he bought some farmland in Texas. Maybe he was induced to do this by some of the relatives in Texas. It was never a very productive operation. It was in an area where there was the possibility of oil discovery and I understand he did get some royalty income, but nothing ever came of it. I recall him in the fall of the year making a journey to Texas to discuss things with his tenant. Late in life he sold the property and donated the receipts to some church mission.

Although I shared the date August 6 as a birthday with my uncle, and of course as a consequence the same name, I always felt he had a closer attachment to my cousin Eugene than to me. I cannot cite a reason for this. It was just a feeling I have had. Perhaps the relationship stems from the time when Serenus was farming and Eugene was a child. My uncle Carl had a liking for children, mostly young ones he could hold in his lap and tell his one story to. The story about the two little boys who were out in a boat. They were named Pinch Me and Tickle Me. My uncle would say, for example Pinch Me fell out of the boat. Who was left? The child would respond and he would be either pinched or tickled. I have used this story on my three daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment