Friday, April 23, 2010

Of Roll-Top Desks

As I have mentioned earlier my father had a toll-top desk which he had acquired before his marriage. In the little brown house it first stood in sort of a nook at the west end of the sun room. Later when the formers for the two upstairs bedrooms were completed it was moved into the boys’ bedroom where it stood until the move to the farm. On the farm it was in a small room off the living room, which I understand was the bedroom for my grandparents. After my mother died and my father’s estate was settled my brother Vincent acquired the desk and it has followed him in the various [moves] he has made since he moved off the farm property he owned.

I have always had a hankering for a roll-top desk but it is one aspiration that will never materialize. While I was working in San Francisco after the transfer from Wilmington there was on the ground floor of the Shell building where I worked an office supply place called Gunderson’s Office Supply. There I bought an office-size desk and it has followed me ever since. By the time we were here in Ashland the desk had become sort of shop-worn and I refinished it. Will it stay with me when or if we leave Mountain View? Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment